In the past year, kitchen remodeling has been a top project for remodelers and it’s a good way to add value to your home. But, you want to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success before ripping out your floors and tearing down your kitchen cabinets. Follow these do’s and don’ts to create the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted the smart way:
- Conduct research to ensure the contractor you’ve selected is qualified for the job. Browse reviews online, seek out input from your friends and colleagues, and don’t settle just because one contractor has the lowest bid.
- Identify your kitchen must-haves—do you want your kitchen to be energy efficient? Have a particular finish or countertop material? Do you want to have appliances with the latest technology?
- Figure out what the most sensible floor plan would be for your kitchen space. Keep it functional and efficient with sufficient storage and countertop space that matches your needs and the needs of your house. What is the purpose of your space? What do you like to use the kitchen for most frequently? Cooking? Entertaining? Spending time with your family?
- Store all your receipts. Save the receipts in a safe place to pull out when filing your taxes or to use if you decide to sell your home in the future.
- Focus solely on the aesthetic of your new kitchen—shiny countertops or a perfect color palette aren’t the most important things about your new kitchen. Ensure the quality of your cabinets, countertops and replacement windows is high to keep your kitchen working efficiently for years to come.
- Forget your budget! Remain on budget by prioritizing based on your needs and what features are worth the most to you. We recommend budgeting at least 10 percent more than what you believe you’ll need so you can cover unexpected costs during the remodeling process.
- Forget about windows! Pella Windows and Doors has a range of excellent kitchen window styles that can bring together an entire kitchen remodel.
One of the most important items of a kitchen remodeling project is the windows—they allow light into your space, set the tone for the room and deliver you a gateway to the outdoors, which is especially nice when there’s a cool breeze on a summer day. If you are thinking about replacement windows as a part of your kitchen remodel, give our professionals at Pella Windows and Doors a call at 616-201-0206, check out our Grand Rapids showroom or arrange an in-home consultation with us online so we can help you pick out the right replacement windows for your kitchen needs.